Bishop Kennedy was born on 13th May 1968 in Wagga Wagga NSW Australia. He is the youngest of nine children born to John and Fidelma Kennedy.
Bishop Kennedy was educated in Wagga Wagga by the Christian Brothers. Following schooling he attended the Sydney Catholic College of Education undertaking a Diploma in Education. He then taught for three years at Xavier Catholic College in Albury, Wagga Wagga Diocese.
In 1992 he entered Vianney College the Wagga Wagga Diocesan Seminary. In 1994 he continued his academic studies in Rome. At the Urban College of Propaganda Fide he obtained a Licentiate in Sacred Theology. At the Marianum Pontifical School he obtained a Diploma in Mariology.
Bishop Kennedy was ordained to the priesthood on 14th August, 1999. Over the next 12 years he held the following positions:
- Assistant Priest and Parish Priest
- Rector of Saint Francis’ Residential College at Charles Sturt University
- Lecturer in Moral Theology, Mariology and Church History at Vianney College
- Diocesan Director of Vocations
- Member of Diocesan Council of Priests and College of Consultors
- Diocesan Catholic Schools Commission member
- Vicar Forane
Bishop Michael will speak on the innovative teacher formation programs he has implemented in his diocese. He will also outline the Explore Marriage initiative which has married couples visiting high schools to answer questions on relationships and marriage.